Goal Setting: Are You One of the 8%?

Cast your mind back to the beginning of the year. Did you make any New Year’s resolutions like goal setting? If you did, you’re not alone. Over 60% of the population set New Year’s resolutions.

But did you know that only 8% stick to them? The remaining 92% of people are talking but not walking their walk!

Surprisingly, it will continue on %75 of the resolution through the entire first week of January, but only 46% make it past six months. This pattern reflects in small businesses. As a business coach for tradies, I see this every day in, day out.

office workers chatting on break

How to stay on track with your goal settting

I want to share a technique derived from the global personal development guru Brian Tracey, Positive Thinking versus Positive Knowing.

Positive thinking is essential, but it is not enough. Left undirected and uncontrolled, it can quickly become ‘positive wishing’ and ‘positive hoping’. It is why so many resolutions fizzle away and are never achieved.

Instead of serving as an inspiration to higher achievement, positive thinking can become little more than a cheerful attitude toward life. Simply put, it lacks drive.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is BBG-EDM-header-18-1-1024x178.png

To be focused and effective, you must translate into positive knowing. It is having complete conviction in the belief and knowledge that you will be successful at achieving a particular goal. You must be so resolute and determined, convinced of your ultimate success, that nothing can stop you.

You become what you think about most of the time.” – said Brian Tracy.

One of the essential mental laws is, whatever is impressed, is expressed. Everything you do to program your subconscious mind with this unshakeable conviction of success will help you achieve your goals faster. Whatever you impress deeply into your subconscious mind will eventually be expressed in your external world.

You aim to impress your goals deep into your subconscious mind so that they ‘lock in’ and take on a power of their own.

Are you using techniques for goal setting?

It is one of the many techniques I use and recommend at Business Benchmark Group to help tradies achieve their goals. The important part is that you have goal setting techniques that work for you. If you don’t have any, or they’re not working for you, it’s time for a change!

Accountability is another critical component in achieving resolutions and goals. An accountability partner is a great asset to bounce ideas off, get unbiased opinions and thoughts, and push you to get jobs done. 

Business Benchmark Group has helped hundreds of business owners stay accountable and reach their goals without tearing their hair out. Discover how our programs can support your business growth today.


More Posts

Ready to run your business better?

Book your free business evaluation


Before you leave, why not do a quick 3 Minute Business Health Check and find out how much you're leaving on the table?