How to Make your New Year’s Business Resolution Stick

Here we are…a few days in 2023! Did you make any business New Year resolution?

Around 60% of the population at least thought about setting New Year’s resolutions.

But did you know that only 8% of the population actually stick to them? That’s a lot of thinking and not a lot of ‘doing’! 92% of those people are good at talking the talk, but not walking the walk!

It would come as no surprise to read that the top ten resolutions include losing weight, giving up smoking, joining a gym, better management of money, buying a new car…

…well, you know the list already, don’t you!

And how long do the resolutions last? 75% of resolutions will be continued through (the entire!) first week of January, but only 46% make it past six months.

So, what can we do to try and stay on track with our good intentions?

I thought I’d share a technique derived from the global personal development guru Brian Tracy regarding goal setting.

Systematic versus Random Goal Setting

Do you know the saying – “You become what you think about most of the time”?

A resolution is like any other goal. To actually achieve a goal, we have to believe with every fibre of our being that we will achieve it. This is ‘Positive Knowing’.

This is the mindset of the 8% who stick to their resolutions. The remaining 92% have a ‘Positive Thinking’ mindset. Positive thinking is important, but it is not enough.

It can quickly become positive wishing and positive hoping. Instead of serving as inspiration for achievement, positive thinking can become little more than a cheerful attitude.

Therefore, Positive Thinking MUST translate into Positive Knowing. You have to charge forward without doubt. You must be so determined and convinced of your ultimate success, that nothing can stop you.

Program your Subconscious Mind

Everything you do to program your subconscious mind with this unshakeable conviction of success will help you achieve your goals faster.

One of the most important mental laws is, whatever is impressed, is expressed. Whatever you impress deeply into your subconscious mind will eventually be expressed in your external world.

Your aim in mental programming is to impress your goals deeply into your subconscious mind, so that they ‘lock in’ and take on a power of their own.

This is one of many techniques used to help you achieve your goals.

One of the most effective ways to achieve goals is to hold yourself accountable for what you want to change: Tell others or write it down.

Being held accountable to your family, peers and mentors is an incredibly powerful thing.  Nobody likes to admit failure. Being accountable is a driver for success.

The team and I wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year.

Power to you!



More Posts

Ready to run your business better?

Book your free business evaluation


Before you leave, why not do a quick 3 Minute Business Health Check and find out how much you're leaving on the table?